Saturday, July 6, 2013

Haiti here I come!


Wow. Hard to believe that today I woke up in America, and I am going to go to sleep in Haiti. This day has been a long and exhausting one, but well worth it. We woke up and hit the road before the sun even came up if that tells you how early we had to leave. Thankfully, we had a direct flight to Haiti, unlike my last trip here. Last time we had to stop in Miami and then to Port-au-Prince. It was all day traveling, but now we got here mid afternoon! And I know it is said that Atlanta is the busiest airport in the world, but whoever said that has not been to the Port-au-Prince airport. There are just people here and there asking to take your bags to help, trying to get past you... It is just hectic!! We luckily made it out alive and road the tap-tap (kind of like a small school bus) to Christian Light. 

When we arrived to Christian Light we were just ready to put our bags down and hang out with the kids. And they sure made that easy. Right when we got off the tap-tap I was immediately surrounded by kids. Some even remembered us which was the best feeling in the world! Today was a lazy day for all of us. We all hung out, play soccer, danced and some kids even did a sort of gymnastics... We had the best welcoming committee anyone could have.



Dinner time rolled around and wow I didn't realize how hungry I was. As I looked at the food, I noticed what the protein of the night was... the favorite of us all... Goat. YUMMM. Okay, so goat may sound very weird and not appetizing to eat, but it really is not bad at all. The cooks here make it in a way that it pretty much tastes like beef; I was actually looking forward to it when I saw it haha. It was funny though when I saw it because literally earlier that day my dad and I were talking about the first time we tried goat here. At dinner I was able to get to know more of the teachers and volunteers here, and it is great seeing all the Godly men and women that are surrounding these kids. They just want people to be around them, love on them, and show them that they do mean something. They are important in this world, and they shouldn't go one day without hearing that. I didn't realize it until earlier today when I had my camera out and the girls just wanted me to take tons and tons and pictures of them. The smiles on their faces when I showed them their pictures I will never forget. They saw that they actually are real people, and have such a big purpose in life.  


I have been organizing and getting all my stuff ready for my first day of class with the 1st graders!! I have their names and am just ready to put a name to all the beautiful faces on Monday. I can already tell that it isn't just me making an impact on their lives, but these kids are such a great impact on my life as well. I am ready to fully rely on God these next two weeks, and put all the power in His hands. I have to learn to be flexible (which is not in my vocabulary by the way) and to make sure that with everything I do, I am lifting His name up, not my own. This post was very disorganized and I'm sorry, once the week starts and I have great stories and pictures to show then you'll truly be able to see what the people of Haiti are doing in my life right now.



"When I am afraid, I will trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid."
Psalm 56:3-4

2 comments:

  1. Your blog is great Katy-bug! So excited to follow along with you on this journey! I will continue to pray for you and the kids. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am enjoying your blog too. I know I am a month late to the party but I am through the first two blog posts. I will savor the experience and do one more later today and then a couple tomorrow, etc. Congrats on coming home and having a wonderful experience. :)

    ReplyDelete